Virtual Reality in Mental Health Treatments
The purpose of virtual reality is to recreate real-world turbulences that feel intuitive, interactive, and immersive with entirely controllable tools. VR has made its way to multiple fields to give truly unmatchable experiences. Be it art or sciences; virtual reality has been applied successfully. Not only is it in e-gaming, construction, and education, but the same is true with virtual reality in mental health treatments.
Alongside, It has proved to be a game-changing technology when it comes to treating mental health issues with VR sessions.
According to studies, VR supports patients to learn how to accomplish their symptoms in a simulation, which transfers into the real world.
Treatment of Mental Ailments with VR Exposure Therapy
Here is how Virtual Reality exposure therapy is helping patients;
Virtual Reality Exposure Therapy (VRET) effectively treats fears where it introduces the stimuli or patient’s fears gradually and progressively. With repeated sessions, it is easier to overcome fears.
Phobia can be treated drastically through VRET. Patients with height, water, insects, etc., phobias are taken into the virtual scenarios where their reactions are analyzed, and their training goes on simultaneously.
Anxiety is one of the most common mental health issues, and stimuli vary from person to person. It can dramatically disturb the quality of life and a person’s productivity. VRET helps people reach their average level of anxiety and then control it.
Patients are exposed to their traumatic situations, where their reactions arere-assessed by the therapist. Then, they are guided by the therapists to manage their fears and act mindfully to come out of the traumas.
VRET effectively stimulates and treats fears, phobias, anxiety, traumas, etc. Now, it is under practice to see how it can help in improving the quality of life for patients with depression.
Apps and Software for VR Therapy in Mental Health
Here is some briefing about VR therapy Apps/software and their application in physical and psychological treatment.
- Fear of Heights
- In-person Therapy
- VR exposure
- Chronic Pain
- Acute Pain
- Anxiety about surgical treatments
- Stress in Hospital Setting
- Mindfulness and Meditation
- Quitting Smoking
- Coping skills
- Employee stress management
- Teenage Mental Health
- Coaching and assessment
- Adult Isolation
- Heart Disease
Cognitive Leap Solutions
- Attention Disorders of Children
- Coaching Program
Benefits of VR-based Therapy sessions
Let’s look at the top benefits of virtual reality in mental health!
- The sceneries created through VR tools seem surprisingly real with a high degree of complex ecological validity.
- During treatments, stimuli or physical phenomena that are virtually displayed are thoroughly controllable.
- VR therapies can be repeatable, progressive, and consistent.
- Stimuli can be induced gradually, while they can be stopped anytime.
- The therapist can customize turbulence settings to make the VR experience personalized for the patient.
- Results are easy to obtain and can be analyzed by comparing them with previous VR sessions.
- The software can be modified following the therapist’s requirements.
- It assists in picturing those sceneries that otherwise are difficult to create through the client’s briefing.
- VR therapies are more productive in treating traumatic patients effectively via creating more valid traumatic conditions.
The effectiveness of VR Mental therapy applications may lead it to reach a more standard approach to e-therapy as the world is growing more digital and soon virtual.
Since virtual reality is very beneficial in mental health therapy, it is widely used to cure depression, anxiety, and other related issues.